D. K. Cochran House
Contributing. ca. 1910.
This L-plan, one-story, cross-gable cottage has unpainted weatherboard siding, a full-width, shed-roof front porch with square posts outlined with rope (a modern change), turned balusters, brackets, brick piers infilled with concrete block, and one-over-one windows. There is a shed-roof modern addition in the juncture of the "L". The central brick chimney is partially stuccoed. House sits on a corner lot, on a hill, with an alley to the rear. Concrete steps lead from the street to the central concrete walkway, with concrete steps to the porch. Henderson County deeds, historic plats, and city directories date this house to ca. 1910, making it the earliest house in the neighborhood. According to deed records, Frank H. Wheeler, one of the developers of Wheeler Park, sold Lot #7 (corner of Locust Street and 9th Avenue) to D. K. Cochran on August 27, 1910, the year that Wheeler Park was platted. The Cochran family apparently built the house soon after this, since it appears on the later Cold Spring Park plat as an existing residence. The Cochran family owned the property until April 25, 1978 when Hattie Mae Cochran Gregory (daughter of D. K. Cochran) and husband James Parker Gregory sold the property to their on James Parker Gregory, Jr. Lucy A. Cochran, widow of D. K. Cochran, was still living in this house in the mid-1920s, according to city directories. Rose Jamison, a widow, lived in this house from 1937 to 1957 (Sanborn maps; city directories; owner information; Henderson County Deed Books 70, p. 154; 563, p. 255).
902 Locust Street. Storage/Garage. Contributing. ca. 1925.
This large, front-gable building with vertical flush board siding appears to have originally been a separate dwelling. The multi-panel door is partially covered and the single window opening is boarded over. Currently it is used for storage, and has a modern shed-roof, one automobile bay garage addition on the south side with weatherboard siding and a lift door.