520 Valley Street

Henry J. Quilhot House

Contributing, ca. 1925.
One and one-half story Tudor Revival cottage with an L-shape floor plan and a side gable roof with a projecting front gable wing in the center. Main entry at junction of the wings, faces Hedge Alley. Stucco walls, arched multi-light windows, some casement, and some six-over-six. Front door is vertical panel with round arch and a fanlight above. Original attached garage on south side now enclosed and enlarged, with garage door facing south. Stuccoed chimney. This house replaces an earlier house on the same lot. Part of a grouping of houses developed by O. E. Hedge, and later appearing on the Quilhot/Hedge/Arledge subdivision dated May 29, 1939 (Plat book B, page 231A). Possibly designed by Hendersonville architect Erle Stillwell. From 1939 to 1940, Mrs. Rebecca Quilhot, widow of Henry J. Quilhot, lived here. James C. and Lula B. Hayers, Sr. and Richard W. and Mildred P. Landeck lived here from 1941 to 1942. James C. Hayers, Jr. lived here from 1943 to 1949. Robert Starnes of Starnes Paint and Wallpaper, lived here beginning in 1950.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, plats)

Document Actions

Filed under: