524 Third Avenue West

Zebulon Byers House

524-3rd-Avenue-West.jpg
Contributing, ca. 1920.

Two-story hip roof cottage with front gable projections. Vinyl siding. Wraparound porch with tapered columns and a solid wood balustrade. Central chimney; one-over-one windows; single-light-over-panel front door. Stone piers. Notable granite block retaining wall at sidewalk. According to deeds, B. P. Burckmyer purchased the property in 1910. James H. Patterson later owned the property; then Mr. Burckmyer and the City of Hendersonville sold the property to Zeb C. and Maggie Byers in 1940. It is not known who actually built the house, but based on the style it may have been built by Burckmyer. The Byers family sold the property to Floyd L. and Ruby P. Metcalf in 1968. Zebulon Byers was named acting postmaster of the Hendersonville Post Office from May 10, 1934 until March 19, 1935. He was a businessman in Hendersonville, a partner in Byers Brothers, a whoJesale mercantile firm on Main street. He served four years, from 1923-1927, as a city commissioner.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, owner)

Document Actions