517 N. Whitted Street
Contributing, ca. 1920.
One-story side-gable cottage with shingle siding. A portion of the engaged front porch has been enclosed with a shed roof covered by metal. Remainder of porch has square posts and a solid shingled balustrade. Exterior end stone chimney. Windows are six-over-six replacements, and door is six-lights over vertical panels. House is set way back on its lot, which was lot 8 of the S. Maxwell subdivision. A. Y. Arledge bought the lot from Maxwell (1919, Book 102, 44). Curtis Candler lived here from 1937 to 1938. Fred and Willie M. Swilling lived here from 1939 to 1940. Swilling was a salesman with a piano store. Audrey Page, a salesman, and wife Helen lived here from 1941 to 1942. Samuel and Evelyn H. Gunter lived here from 1943 to at least 1951. Gunter was a traveling salesman.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, plats, deeds)