511 N. Whitted Street
House. Contributing, ca. 1925.
One-story bungalow with a multi-gable roof and knee braces. Vinyl siding. Front exterior end chimney has been stuccoed. Windows are six-over-six. Porch has been enclosed, at southeast corner, but original details are still visible, included battered posts on stuccoed piers, original brick steps. Deck added at rear. Lot was originally lot 7 of the S. Maxwell subdivision, which was bought by A. Y. Arledge from Maxwell (1919, Book 102, 44). Robert S. and Isabella Gibbs, Jr. lived here from 1937 to 1938. Gibbs was an engineer with Duke Power company. Mrs. Hattie Alexander lived here from 1941 to 1944. Charles and Josephine Guy lived here from 1945 to at least 1951. Guy was a draftsman with Erle Stillwell Architects.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, plats, deeds)
Garage apartment. Contributing, ca. 1950.
One-story garage apartment with a cross-gable roof, casement windows, modern door, and a shed roof addition on the west side.