816 Fourth Avenue West
House. Contributing, ca. 1894.
Two and one-half story Colonial Revival house with a hip roof, standing seam covering, and central front gable bay at second story with boxed returns. Entry portico at first floor; wraparound porch on two sides. Granite center steps, attached gazebos on porch at northeast and northwest corners. Pebbledash walls. Two large interior brick chimneys with corbeling. One-over-one windows; leaded glass panes at attic level; single-light door with sidelights. Large lot, house set above street. Land added to east after 1923. John G. Grant sold this house to Emma Grimes in 1905, and Emma G. Grimes sold it to James M. Seignious in 1908. The Seignious estate sold it to Eva S. Murray and Elizabeth S. Bryant in 1923. Murray and Bryant sold it to T. B. Allen, a state Senator, in 1924. The Allens sold the house to Thomas J. Heller in 1928; Heller sold to the Adgers in 1936. John Adger owned the house from 1936 to 1942. Mrs. Jean Adger lived there from 1943 to 1944. In 1943, the Adger estate sold the house to Ernest Godwin. Godwin then sold to Dr. Richard S. Major. Dr. Major, a physician and surgeon, lived here from 1945 to at least 1980.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, survey files, plat of Seignious estate)
Servant's Cottage. Contributing, ca. 1894.
One-story hip roof cottage with interior brick chimney, front porch with square posts, two-over-two windows, brick foundation, weatherboard siding.
Garage. Contributing, ca. 1920.
One-story front gable roof garage with flat roof storage wing added to west.