705 Fourth Avenue West
House. Contributing, ca. 1902.
Two and one-half story Neo-Classical Revival style house with two-tiered porch, typical of a summer home built by Charlestonians. High hip roof with projecting side gable bays. Wraparound porch, with the southeast corner enclosed. Porch details include round columns in pairs, turned balusters. Two interior brick chimneys. Wide one-over-one windows, and single light-over-panel door. Stone pier foundation. House currently under renovation, with vinyl siding being applied. This house was supposedly built as a summer home for a Charleston doctor on a portion of land that originally belonged to the Curtis family (#172). He brought servants with him every year from Charleston. Originally, there was a carriage house and a caretaker's cottage on the property. Land from this house was sold to build 707 and 711 Fourth Avenue West (#174 and 175), and the Christian Science Society Building on Fifth Avenue West (#144). The house was vacant in the late 1930s to early 1940s. Mrs. M. Daisy Angell lived here from 1943 to 1944. Reverend D. Mauney lived here in 1945 to 1946. Mrs. Bessie F. Mauney and Miss Elizabeth Mauney, a piano teacher, lived here beginning in 1948. According to the current owner, girls from the Fassifern School would come to the house for piano recitals and teas.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, owner)
Storage shed. Contributing, 1930s.
Small one-story frame building with front gable roof. Herbs were grown here.