414 Fourth Avenue West
Rosa Edwards Elementary School
Contributing, ca. 1910.
Two-story Classical Revival building of solid masonry construction, brick walls. Wings to the east and west were added ca. 1951. Entry portico retains much of its Classical detailing, with a replacement front door. Replacement windows, retrofitted into the original openings. Original windows were eight-over-eight with transom lights. One of Hendersonville's earliest school buildings, originally called the Hendersonville Grammar School. Sanborn maps from 1912 note the building had hot water, heat, electricity, and was of solid brick construction. Rosa Edwards was principal there in the late 1920s. By 1937, the building was called the Rosa Edwards Elementary School, which it remained until at least 1951. Now used for administrative offices for the school system. Original architect was H. C. Meyer, but he may have worked for Erle Stillwell at the time. Six Associates, Inc., did the 1951 additions.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, Stillwell drawing collection)