320 Fourth Avenue West
Mary A. Brown House
House. Contributing, ca. 1920.
One and one-half story Craftsman bungalow with a side gable roof and central front gable dormer at front. Brick walls, and half-timbering in front gable ends. Attached front porch has brick posts, solid brick balustrade with concrete caps, an extension to the east which forms a porte cochere, and a front gable roof over the center entry. Interior brick chimneys. Stone foundation. Eight-over-one and one-over-one windows; multi-light front door. Erle Stillwell designed a hotel building for M. A. Brown, but it appears that Richard Sharp Smith designed this house for her in September 1921. Mary A. Brown, widow of James Brown, lived here from 1921 to 1942. Mrs. Brown was president of Brown-Jordan Corporation, a real estate firm. F. V. Gaines lived here from 1945 to 1946, and Mrs. Cornelia K. Helsman, widow of Alfred D. Helsman, lived here from 1948 to 1949.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, inventory list of Richard Sharp Smith drawings)
Garage. Contributing, ca. 1920.
One-story brick, front gable roof garage with original doors.