727 Florida Avenue

Rev. Arcemus V. Reese House

Contributing, ca. 1925.
One-and-one-half-story-plus-basement bungalow with unusual Flemish bond brick of variegated colors. Side gable roof with shed roof dormer. Engaged porch with bungaloid details. Central brick chimney. Eight-over-one windows and notable multi-light door with sidelights. Reverend Arcemus and Mary Reese lived here from 1937 to 1938. Hamlin L. and Nannie Blackmarr lived here from 1939 to 1940; Charles M. and Joy W. Elliott, with Laureldale Hosiery Company, lived here from 1941 to 1942; Fred S. and Minnie Crumbley, district manager with Gulf Oil Corporation, lived here from 1946 to 1947; Russell A. and Rachel T. Katzenmoyer, a superintendent at Chipman-LaCrosse Hosiery Mills, lived here from 1948 to 1949. Beginning in 1950, Lawrence A. Crouch, Jr. lived here. James R. Hill bought lots 13,15, and 17 from the C. F. Bland subdivision, which made up the property for this house (1922, Deed Book 118, page 81).
(Sanborn maps, city directories, plats, deeds, owner)

Document Actions

Filed under: