317 Fleming Street

Boyd H. Blanton House

House. Contributing, ca. 1920.
One-story bungalow with stone veneer walls and porch posts, and beaded mortar joints. The only example of a stone bungalow in the district. Hip roof with wide eaves. Engaged front porch has tapered posts and a solid stone balustrade. Interior end stone chimney. Windows are one-over-one and door is a modern replacement. Granite retaining wall. According to the current owner, this house may have been rented through the years to teachers from Judson College, located just across Fleming Street. Boyd H. and Rosa Blanton lived here from 1937 to 1938. Blanton was an agent with Standard Oil Company. Miss Iva B. Laing lived here from 1939 to 1942. William T. and Nora C. McMahon lived here from 1945 to 1946, with Mrs. McMahon continuing to live in the house until at least 1951.  
(Sanborn maps, city directories, owner)

Apartment. Non-contributing, ca. 1950.
Two-story apartment which appears to encase an earlier one-story outbuilding. Several modern alterations.

Document Actions

Filed under: