213 Fleming Street

Rev. Fred G. MacKenzie House

Contributing, ca. 1910.
Two and one-half story late Queen Anne style house with a high hip roof and front gable dormers. Vinyl siding. Attached wraparound porch has been enclosed at the southeast corner. Fire escape stairs at southwest corner and a one-story wing at the southeast corner, now part of the enclosed porch. Central brick chimney. One-over-one windows, possibly replacements. Large lot with mature trees. While appearing by 1922, the house probably dates from ca. 1910. Reverend Fred G. MacKenzie, pastor at Grove Street Gospel Church, lived here from 1937 to 1938. James M. and Katherine Butler, with Tumble Inn Sandwich Shop, lived here from 1939 to 1940. Nathan Brenner of The Fashion Shop lived here from 1941 to 1942. Mrs. Lillian O. Morris, widow of Vernon Morris, lived here from 1943 to 1944. George W. and Elizabeth M. Taylor lived here from 1945 to 1946. Taylor was a civil engineer. The house was vacant in the late 1940s to early 1950s.
(Sanborn maps, city directories)


Document Actions

Filed under: