525 Ehringhaus Street
Contributing, ca. 1925.
One and one-half-story Tudor Revival house with a one-story wing at rear. Multi-gable roof, and stucco walls. Windows are both round arch and multi-light casement. Front door is vertical lights with a round arch. Exterior end brick chimney. Large lot with notable picket fence and brick posts. The current owners have joined the original house and outbuilding together, utilizing compatible materials and details. Possibly designed by Hendersonville architect Erle Stillwell. Part of a grouping of houses developed by O. E. Hedge, and later appearing on the Quilhot/Hedge/Arledge subdivision dated May 29, 1939 (Plat book B, page 231A). The house was built by O. E. Hedge, who owned the property until Ray R. Arledge bought it ca. 1939. Apparently there were a series of renters in the house through the years, with the owner after Arledge being Mrs. Margery Burrowes, a teacher at Country Day School in Asheville. From 1972 to 1978, the house was occupied by Margaret and John Travers Moore, both poets, and the house was named Poet Haven. The Moores expanded the garden and renovated much of the house. It served as a literary museum for Hendersonville.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, newspaper articles, owner, plat maps)