101-105 S. Main St.

Ripley Building

Oldest-building-on-Main-Str.jpg
Ca. 1848.

Two-story coursed ashlar stone commercial structure built by Colonel Valentine Ripley and believed to be the oldest surviving structures on Main Street. The building has a hipped roof with broad eaves. A modern storefront has been added between existing stone piers. Six tall, double hung windows at second story replace paired casement windows. Stone corbelling under eaves and a one-story brick addition to rear.  

(According to Betty Thomas, Roy Huggins operated an automotive repairs business in the brick building to the rear, built in 1946, and used this building as his offices. Purchased in 1974 by the Thomas Family.  Served as a restaurant briefly.  Interior remodeled in 1985.  Today, Thomas Produce Co. has its office here. Text added 2.3.2009)

Historical Marker placed 2009

The Ripley Building  ca. 1847

Built by Col. Valentine Ripley, early businessman, this is the oldest building on Main Street.  Served as a skating rink, an armory during WW1, office for Huggins Automotive with car repairs in the rear building, the Herb Garden Cafe and since 1984 Thomas Produce Co.

Document Actions