529 N. Main
Two-story pressed brick building. Narrow mortar joints. Bold tin, heavily bracketed cornice below paneled brick parapet. Round and segmentally arched windows with fanlights. First floor covered with vertical wooden siding and a pent roof.
The April 1, 1909 French Broad Hustler records that, "The excavation for the Syndicate building on Main Street is finished and the foundation started." Maxwell Brown was a longtime proprietor in this store, operating a fancy grocery business.
HISTORIC MARKED PLACED 2009
Syndicate Building ca. 1909
Tenants of this two storefront building have been Maxwell Brown’s Fancy Groceries, Mitchell’s Grocery, Jack Schulman’s Clothing, and the Freeze Drug Co. The Woodman of the World Hall was upstairs.
Photos from 1987