401 N. Main Street

First Bank & Trust Company

410main
1923.

Three-story yellow brick building with Neo-Classical limestone detailing, including pilasters and terra cotta ornamentation. Pilasters support limestone entablature above second story windows. All windows and doors modern. Simple, classical limestone enframement surrounds entrance. Designed by Erle Stillwell for First Bank and Trust; later owned by State Trust which merged with Northwestern in 1958.

Historical Marker placed 2009

FIRST BANK & TRUST CO.  1922

 Built as a bank, it operated until 11.20.1930 when it closed. Reorganized by local investors, it reopened 2 weeks later as State Trust Co., merged later with Northwestern Bank, then First Union Bank until 1998. Designed by prominent local architect Erle Stillwell.

Document Actions

Filed under: