400 N. Main St.
Two-story stone-faced, monumental Neo-Classical Revival style bank designed by Erle Stillwell. Entrance deeply recessed under entablature supported by doric columns. Built to house Citizens Bank, the structure also has served as State Trust and, more recently, Bank of North Carolina.
Historical Marker placed 2009
CITIZENS NATIONAL BANK 1921
Built as a bank at a cost of $125,000, it operated until 11.20.1930 when it closed. Reopened in 1936 by State Trust Co., later Northwestern Bank, then Home Bank & Trust, then Bank of NC. The McClintock clock was added in 1927. Designed by prominent local architect Erle Stillwell.
Photo from 1987.