305-309 N. Main

[Former] Citizens Bank Building

Ca. 1908.
Cream-colored brick, two-story commercial structure. Arcade-like series of single round-arch windows alternate with double windows under segmental arch. Each window is one-over-one with fanlight above. Wooden cornice above second story windows. Recessed panels and corbeling in parapet. Two storefronts, both modern, with recessed doorway between.

The Citizens Bank of Hendersonville was incorporated on March 30,1908, according to Fain (p. 348). The March 26, 1908 French Broad Hustler notes that there will be a "new bank--ready for business--June 5th." Mr. Fain writes that the "Citizens Bank was located on the west side of Main between Third and Fourth (sic) Avenues," the building then occupied by Ewbank and Ewbank Insurance firm, later by Southern Public Ctilities (Duke Power) and now by McFarlan's Bakery. There is a picture of this bank in the May 6, 1909 edition of the French Broad Hustler. 

 

309

 

 

 

 

 
Photo taken in 1987.

Document Actions