303 N. Main

Justus Pharmacy

Main-Street-300-Block.jpg
Ca. 1900.

Two-story brick building with stucco applied to front facade. Underlying brick shows through, including crenellation beneath corbelled cornice. Glass block and black carrarra glass added at storefront. Built as a pharmacy for W. H. Justus, remaining in the same family until 1957, and still run under the same name. Interior retains much of its earlier character.

 

According to the French Broad Hustler, April 19, 1906, "The Justus Pharmacy, newly painted and decorated, inside and out, with its handsome new awning presents a handsome appearance." Mr. Hunter and Mr. Justus were continually trying to outdo the other with new soda fountains. French Broad Hustler, April 11, 1907: "The new fountain at the Justus Pharmacy is now almost ready, only a little plumbing required to put it in working order. It is of the new style, the clerks drawing different beverages from under the front counter. It is undoubtably one of the handsomest fountains to be found anywhere. The massive back is of mahogany and plate glass, and remarkably beautiful glass, outlined with electric lights of different sizes. The electric light fixtures are of brass, very pretty in design. The counters and front are entirely of marble, with a heavy brass rail at the top and bottom. The latest appliances and cleanliness and quickness are incorporated in the big fountain, and the whole effect is most pleasing. "

Historical Marker placed 2009

JUSTUS PHARMACY ca. 1900

Built and operated as a pharmacy by Dr. William Hicks Justus whose son Fred later ran the business until 1957. The pharmacy was then operated by the Beck Family until 1994. Home to the first soda fountain in Hendersonville.

 

301

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photo taken 1987.

Document Actions