143 First Avenue East

Commercial Building. ca. 1940. Contributing.

143 1st eastOne-story rusticated concrete block structure.  Front facade intact with some minor changes.  Transom windows remain above the original garage door.  Roofline steps back from the street to a one-story brick addition at the rear, added ca. 1940, with rough-cut stone lintels and sills on all windows.  According to Sanborn maps, this structure was first used as a livery stable.  By 1912 it was changed to a garage and general auto repair shop.  By 1922 it was in use partially as a garage and partially as a feed warehouse.  1943 maps indicate the building was in use as a tractor repair shop and storage (Sanborn maps, city directories).

Document Actions