848 Dale Street

848 dale.JPG

House. Contributing, ca. 1908.
Two-and-one-half-story Queen Anne house with a high hip roof and projecting gable wings. Notable corner turret at the northwest corner with concave pyramidal roof. Wide eaves, pressed shingle roof covering, decorative gable ends including starburst motifs. Weatherboard on first floor, shingles on second, wraparound porch with single and triple columns, no balustrade. Two tall interior brick chimneys, cut stone with beaded mortar joints foundation, one-over-one and diamond-pane windows, single light-over-panel front door. Door trim is scalloped. Corner lot.

826-Dale-Street.jpgThis house appears on the original plat for the neighborhood, Columbia Park, dated June 1908. It is possible, though deeds don't confirm, that H. S. Anderson was the first owner of this house, and it was built earlier than 1908. He owned all of the land which later became Columbia Park, and as it is the most elaborate house in the neighborhood, it is possible he built it. The 1915 city directory also notes that Anderson lived on Dale Street.

Mrs. Leona Haworth of Ohio bought the property from the Hendersonville Development Company in 1917, but it is not clear on the deed if a house was pre-existing. Mrs. Elizabeth Camp operated this house as a boarding house known as Whispering Pines from 1937 to 1938 and again from 1941 to 1942. From 1939 to 1940 Mrs. Margaret C. Dotson, a widow, lived here. J. Howard and Edith Butler and James L. and Alice Pressley lived here from 1943 to 1944. Both men were employed at Swing Paper Box Company. Acie H. Jones, a contractor, lived here from 1945 to 1946. From 1950 to 1951 Lloyd Hill, a driver with the State Highway Department, and wife Clara along with Charles and Arlies Pruitt lived in the house. Occupants beginning in 1952 included Donald G. Sizemore, a station attendant with Shipman Motor Company, and wife Roberta, and O. Howard Toney, employed at Wing Paper Box Company (44I S. Whitted Sheet), and wife Mamie.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, Henderson County Deed Book 93, p. 412)

Document Actions

Filed under: