846 Dale Street

846-Dale-Street.jpg
House. Contributing, ca. 1908.

Two-and-one-half-story Four Square house with a side gable roof and unusual wide clipped gable dormer at the front. Central brick chimney, weatherboard and shingle siding, attached front porch with hip roof and front gable at one end. Porch details include a stuccoed solid
balustrade, probably originally brick. Stone foundation, one-over-one windows.

This house appears on the original plat for the neighborhood, Columbia Park, dated June 1908. W. H. Anderson bought the lot from the Hendersonville Development Company in 1924, with the lot noting that there was an eight-room house already built. R. Anderson Coffey, an insurance agent, and wife Cleo lived here from 1937 to 1938. From 1941 to 1942 Emma H. Thompson, widow of J. C. Thompson, lived here. Harry B. McClain, a farmer, and wife Evelyn lived here from 1943 to 1946. From 1950 to 1951 Joseph M. and Lucille Carver and Hugh A. Hill, employed by Southern Railway, and wife Gladys lived here. The house was vacant several times between these occupants' time in the house.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, Henderson County DeedBook 121, p. 400)

Storage building. Non-contributing, ca. 1960s.
One-story front gable frame storage building with plywood siding.

Document Actions

Filed under: