826 Dale Street


826 dale.JPGHouse. Contributing, ca. 1908.

Two-story-plus-attic Queen Anne house with hip roof and projecting front gable dormers. Wide eaves, pressed shingle roof covering, asbestos siding, wraparound porch with square posts and no balustrade. Corner entry. Interior brick chimney, cut stone foundation, one-over-one windows, multi-light replacement door with transom.

This house appears on the original plat for the neighborhood, Columbia Park, dated June 1908. Mrs. M. E. Hinds purchased the lot from the Hendersonville Development Company in 1917, but it is not clear if a house was pre-existing on the lot. Albert L. Beck, with Beck Hardware Company, lived in this house from 1926 to 1951, with Mrs. Ethel L. Beck, his widow, continuing to live there through at least 1953. Beginning in the 1930s, the house was known as the Beck House or Beck Villa, a boarding house for summer tourists to Hendersonville. A Chamber of Commerce brochure from 1931 noted that a single room and meals per week cost $12.50 to $15.00. This same ad noted the home was ". . . cool, pleasant and restful . . .  two blocks from very popular mineral spring . . . large, well ventilated rooms, spacious shaded lawns and porches, private family tables, fresh vegetables from our own garden. . . "
(Sanborn maps, city directories, Henderson County Deed Book 93, p. 415 )

Document Actions

Filed under: