824 Dale Street
House. Contributing, ca. 1908.
Two-story-plus-attic Queen Anne house with an "L" plan. Hip roof with clipped gable dormer at front and side gables on sides. Portion of original wraparound porch enclosed after 1954, at the northeast corner. First floor brick, second floor shingles. Central brick chimney with corbelling, cut stone foundation, one-over-one windows; front door is single light-over-five panels.
This house appears on the original plat for the neighborhood, Columbia Park, dated June 1908. Miss Nellie Orr bought the property from the Hendersonville Development Company in 1917, with no indication on the deed if a house was pre-existing. Beginning in the late 1930s this house was called the Beck Villa Annex, needed for more rooms when the Beck Villa next door was full. It remained as the Beck Villa Annex until 1951. Beginning in 1952 Albert L. Beck, Jr. with Beck Brothers Pharmacy and wife Aileen; Carl R. Brown, with OK Stores and wife Ruth; and Gordon R. Jones, an agent with Home Security Life Insurance Company, and wife Olive lived in the house.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, Henderson County Deed Book 93, p. 445)