1133 Oakland Street
Contributing, ca. 1925.
Colonial Revival style two-story building with a center hall plan. Side gable roof with boxed returns, wide overhanging eaves, and brick veneer walls. One-story hip roof wing, along with a two-story front gable wing, at the northwest corner. Covered patio with rail on the south side. The covering appears to be added in more recent years. Front entry has added cast iron posts. Windows are one-over-one, single, double, and triple. Front door is multi-panel with sidelights and transom. Garage beneath house at rear. House sits on a large corner lot. O. Roy Keith lived in this house by 1926. Keith was a real estate developer who laid out lands adjacent to his house as part of the "O. Roy Keith" portion of the Hyman Heights subdivision which was laid out in October 1925. From at least 1937 to 1949 this building was used to house the Immaculata Parochial School, run by the Sisters of Christian Education. This school was associated with the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Hendersonville. The school later moved to another location. Reverend Philip J. O'Mara was pastor during these years. Good condition.
(Sanborn maps, city directories, Henderson County plat book 2, page 8)