1636 Kensington Road

Abbot W. Goodale House

1636 kenHouse. Contributing, by 1926.
Two-story late Queen Anne house with an irregular floor plan and a front gable roof with boxed returns. One-story wing at the rear. Attached porch at southwest corner has turned balusters, and has been screened in. The central bay at the front appears to have been there originally, according to Sanborn maps. There is a recessed entry at the northwest corner. Walls have vinyl siding, including in soffits, and windows are double hung replacements. Notable octagonal window in upper front gable end. Lot is nicely landscaped, and sits on a hill above the street. Abbot W. Goodale, a salesman, and wife Lynn lived here from 1941 to 1942. Braxton W. Williams and wife Thelma lived here from 1943 to 1944. Williams was Superintendent at Home Life Insurance Company. Paul H. Gardner, manager of A & P Food Stores, and wife Gladys lived here in the late 1940s. Good condition.
(Sanborn maps, city directories)

Cottage. Contributing, by 1926.
One-story vernacular cottage with a side gable roof and a shed roof attached front porch. Walls covered with vinyl siding; some replacement windows and doors. Appears as the outbuilding for 1636 Kensington on Sanborn maps, and is still part of this property.

 

 

Document Actions

Filed under: