1625 Kensington Road

Justice-Brittain House

1625 kenContributing, by 1926.
Vernacular Bungalow style one-story-plus-basement house with a clipped, cross gable roof. Walls are German siding. Attached stoop has a clipped gable roof with boxed returns supported by columns. Windows are four-vertical-over-one and casement. Front door is louvered (probably a replacement of the original) and sidelights. Small lot drops away to rear. Garage is located beneath house at the northeast corner. Basement walls are brick. The Hendersonville Real Estate Company, developers of the neighborhood, sold Lot #136 of the Druid Hills plat to A. C. Justice on November 23, 1925 (Deed Book 126, 230). The house was built by February 15, 1926, by the Justice family (Deed of Trust Book 103, 3). A default on the loan occurred on May 12, 1928, and the Insured Mortgage Bond Corporation (holders of the mortgage) sold the property to Lewis Barber (Deed Book 195, 94). On July 1, 1931, Barber sold the property to Imperial Mortgage Company (Deed Book 195, 487), who then sold it to Greyling Realty Corporation on July 17, 1931 (Deed Book 195, 486). Greyling Realty sold the house to National Bondholders Corporation in 1936 (Deed Book 214, 115) and National Bondholders sold it to Louise W. and McAvoy Brittain soon thereafter (Deed Book 214, 118). McAvoy Brittain was a salesman with Gulf Oil Corporation and Louise Brittain was a teacher.  Good condition. 
(Sanborn maps, city directories, Henderson County deed books)

 

Document Actions

Filed under: