Hendersonville Preservation Awards
To increase awareness of Hendersonville’s heritage, the Historic Preservation Commission would like to recognize projects that exemplify preservation of historic buildings, resources and individual efforts. These awards will recognize property owners, organizations, businesses and agencies whose contributions demonstrate outstanding commitment to excellence in historic preservation, local history or promotion of the City’s heritage. Nominations should be within the City of Hendersonville’s jurisdiction. Winners receive a plaque and $100.
The Commission will accept nominations for preservation awards in the following categories:
Residential Preservation – outstanding restoration of a private residence over fifty years old
Commercial Preservation – outstanding restoration of a commercial building over fifty years old
Preservation Advocate – an individual or agency active in preservation for artisanship, education, planning, stewardship and/or advocacy
Awards will be presented during the City’s Preservation Week festivities in May, National Preservation Month, and include a $100 award. In addition to public and private buildings and structures, historic preservation projects may include media, publications, presentations and exhibits, parks, burial grounds, public art, oral history, theater productions, events and video presentations.
Complete nominations will include:
- A completed Nomination Form (click to download the pdf)
- A typed statement, double-spaced, of 250 words or less describing the project or activity for which the organization, individual, business and/or agency is being nominated, its impact on the community and overall contribution to historic preservation
- Color photographs if appropriate. Based on the type of award, at least four images should show before and after results, types of resources affected, people carrying out the project, or people using, enjoying, and learning from the historic, cultural or natural assets. If your photos are printed from digital images, please include a CD containing the images
- Nominations for an event or program shall include copies of related publications and photos
- Any news clippings and other supplementary data if available
Nomination submittal packages shall be submitted in a sealed envelope to:
Historic Preservation Awards Committee
c/o Planning Department, City Hall
145 Fifth Avenue East
Hendersonville, N.C. 28792
Nominations must be received no later than February 28, 2014. The Historic Preservation Awards Committee reserves the right to limit the number of awards. Questions may be directed to Lu Ann Welter, Administrative Assistant at 828-697-3088 or email@example.com
Nomination materials will not be returned and those not chosen may be considered in future years. All nomination materials, including photographs, become property of the City of Hendersonville and the Historic Preservation Commission, and may be reproduced by the City of Hendersonville and its partners without additional explicit permission.